Friday, October 12, 2007

Still in Benin...

Well, I am still in Benin...

I have survived my 1st three weeks at post! Not too bad. And, since I'm in the mood to list accomplishments, I read 5 books during that time, including Moby-Dick, I have sewn my own curtains, and cleaned everything I own... I had a bit of time on my hands... But, Now school has started and things are picking up. I have over 200 students, divided into four classes, and thus have my work cut out for me, as I would really like all of them to learn a bit of English... (Actually, I'd like them to learn a lot of English.)Today has been my first day since getting to post where I have had internet, electricity, and running water - in other words, I have left post for that haven that is the Parakou workstation. Life is good. Now, my first weeks of post were not without their hiccups. For instance, I wanted to go to the Catholic church in my town, and thus asked someone who spoke a little French what time mass was. She said 10. so, at 9:45, I left to go to church.... I get there, and the Priest is giving out communion, oy. Hurridly, I found an open seat and hoped that no one noticed that the one white person who was in the church had entered it obscenely late, and was now trying to blend in... well, I wasn't doing a very good job. In my self-conscious search for an open seat, I had failed to notice that the church was divided down the middle by men and women. I had, of course, accidently sat on the mens' side. Well, as I didn't notice this for quite a while, I just stayed there, not knowing what else to do, and when mass was over I hurried on out and went home...oops. My next trip to mass was a bit better. I got there at 8:45, as someone else told me that it started at 9, and I was only a little late. Maybe I had better stop asking people who don't own watches what time things are at... Anyways, mass was fine. The priest said it in Bariba, so I just sat there and listened, understanding well, nothing except that he kept mentioning a certain Jesu Chreest, but other than that, it was a nice time to sit and think....until I realized that everyone was turning arround to look at me and point. I just kind of smiled and sat there, until finally someone said Anna - allez-y and pointed to the priest. He had been asking me to come up to the front for a little while, to introduce myself, and I had no idea he was talking to me - I can only say greetings in Bariba. Well, I went up, adn told him I don't speak Bariba, so he told me to speak in french, so I, who am always brilliant when asked to say things on the fly, said, "ikwunundo, Je suis tres heureuse d'etre ici....oui, ca c'est tout." good morning (in bariba)I am very happy to be here.... yes, that is all......yup, I'm sure I made a wonderful first impression. But, I suppose there are much worse things I could have said. Oh, on another note, my name (Anna) means come here in Bariba. Which, everyone thinks is hillarious, and makes a point to say Anna, Anna, to tell me to come there, and I always here my name all over town and get very confused. Well, at least they can pronounce it, and it is certainly easy to remember.

1 comment:

loehrke said...

I read you story about going to church the first time and we both laughed a lot.
Awkward!!!!
Keep smiling and keep doing your job.
You are thought of often back here.....even by folks like my wife and I who have never met you!!!!!
From Carly's Dad